After an irregularly long, cold winter, Saint Louisans are searching for signs of spring’s final arrival. There are many signs, and we regard them as irrefutable evidence of the final end of winter and the arrival of warm sunny days best spent among friends in a pleasant beer garden, preferably one on Holt Avenue.
We have seen the crocus, the daffodil, and the hyacinth. We have heard the varied songs of a round of robins, a murmuration of starlings, and a college of cardinals. We have sought refreshing beers and have been rewarded with Witbier, Pink Boots Hopped Table Beer, and Circle 7 American Wheat; yet these stellar beers, while refreshing, did not seem to constitute proof positive that spring was firmly established.
This year, the most potent evidence of spring is the arrival of the first round of lager yeast. Today our team of crack brewers was hard at work making a brand new beer, cleverly named “Civil Lager.” Behind a byzantine system of polished alembics and retorts, Seymour could be heard muttering things like “dead simple beer,” “all pilsner malt,” “German hops,” and “the perfect beer to pair with tacos.”
While laughing maniacally, he dumped a metal pail brimming with German Magnum hops into his cauldron. Spring, it seems, is here.
Civil Lager is the first of this year’s lagers beers, and you can expect it on tap in about a month or so. It should be clean, crisp, and dry, with pleasant hop spice and grainy malt goodness. If you come on a Sunday in a month or so, you can test Seymour’s hypothesis about this beer’s otherworldly ability to pair with tacos.
Next, our Dortmunder will return. This old favorite will no doubt be cheered by the thirsty regulars who enjoyed this delicious lager the first time we brewed it. Our Dortmunder drinks like a big pilsner. It has a grainy/bready malt intensity, but remains crisp and refreshing, with classic noble hop spice.
And then our classic Vienna Lager will return. This beautiful deep amber beer is dry and toasty with bready malt and noble hop spice. The last time we brewed this beer, almost 10% of it was consumed by the combined Saint Louis metro area, while the remaining 90% of it was consumed by Alex and Charlie. You’ll know supplies are low when you see them arm wrestling for the final pints.
Lagers are coming back, Civil friends! Spring is finally here. We have plenty of other tasty options to slake your thirst until the lagers hit the taps, but know they are on the way as surely as the return of yard work and sunburns. Welcome spring and welcome lagers!
The Civil Blog has returned. It is predominantly authored by Civil Life Barman, Dr. Patrick Hurley, who can be found tending to our bar patrons on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. He is also responsible for tending to our draft lines, which is recognized as one of our most important tasks. Special guest writers will appear from time to time. We hope reading this blog will give you much insight about the Civil Life and most importantly help you understand a bit more about all of us that work here and the beers we put our hearts into.